Halitosis is an oral health problem where the main symptom is bad-smelling breath. In most cases, finding the cause of the bad breath is the first step toward treating this preventable condition. At Smile Cliniq, we provide affordable and effective bad breath treatment in London. If you think you are suffering from halitosis, get in touch with us now.
What Is Bad Breath Treatment London
Bad breath is very common, and usually, the person with it is unaware that they have it. However, halitosis treatment London is very straightforward and effective.
In 90% of cases, bad breath is created in the mouth where bacteria produce gases that tend to smell like rotten eggs. These bacteria often hide in areas that you miss when you clean your teeth, as well as on the back of your tongue. It can also be caused by smoking which dries out your mouth making the odour a lot worse. This also builds up to harmful tar and nicotine inside your mouth.
Bad breath can be divided into two main types:
- Morning Breath – a condition that most people suffer from. Due to the lack of secretion of saliva during the night from our salivary gland, the bacteria aren’t washed away. By simply brushing and rinsing with a mouth rinse the bad breath can disappear. As our salivary glands rest while we are asleep, there is insufficient saliva to wash away bacteria and food debris.
- Halitosis – is a more serious condition and usually will need treatment. The problem can still be present even after brushing and rinsing and the bad breath can last throughout the day. Bacteria which give off odorous gases produce this type of bad breath.
At Smile Cliniq, we will investigate your mouth, diagnose the exact cause of your bad breath and show you exactly how to tackle bad breath treatment London it as part of your regular routine. If gum disease is the cause of halitosis, our expert dental hygienists will clean the pockets between your teeth and gums to remove the ingrained bacteria.
What Is The Process of Halitosis Treatment London?
Bad breath treatment in London is determined by the cause. Once we have established the cause, the treatment follows:
- Poor oral health – If the bad breath is due to improper oral healthcare, in most cases your dentist will treat the cause of the problem.
- Gum disease – If the cause is an underlying gum disease, the condition may be treated by your dentist. You may also be referred to an oral specialist. A periodontal cleaning often helps to remove the bacteria and tartar or plaque that has built up and is causing inflammation at the gumline.
- Extensive plaque buildup – Your dentist or periodontist may recommend an antimicrobial mouth rinse. Also, you may be told to brush your tongue gently each time you brush your teeth to help remove odour-causing bacteria.
- Health condition – Diagnosis and treatment of an existing health condition may get rid of the bad breath.
Where Can I Find Bad Breath Treatment In London
Choose Smile Cliniq for your expert bad breath treatment in London. We have won many awards since 2008, consistently winning awards that prove our exceptionally high quality of service. Our team of dentists and specialists provide a vast variety of treatments, amassing over 100 years of dental experience between them. Awards that we and our team have received include Best Young Dentist, Best Patient Care and Best London Practice; you can find out more by meeting the team and all our awards here.
How To Prevent Halitosis
Your chances of having bad breath can be significantly reduced if you:
- Brush your teeth and floss at least twice a day
- Brush your tongue, cheeks and the roof of your mouth as this is where bacteria live
- If you have dentures, make sure you take them out at night and clean them properly before putting them back in your mouth
- If you smoke, quit. Smoking can leave you with bad-smelling breath and unhealthy oral hygiene
- Keep your saliva flowing by eating healthy foods that make you chew. Carrots and apples require a lot of salivae. You can also chew sugar-free gum
- Visit your dentist regularly for check-ups that can find problems such as gum disease, infections and dry mouth
Halitosis Treatment London FAQs
How is halitosis diagnosed?
Dentists often diagnose halitosis based on the person’s history and mouth odour during the dental exam. The entire mouth is checked to see if a cause can be found, such as an infection If the dentist can’t find the cause, they will refer you to an appropriate specialist, such as a doctor.
What are the symptoms of halitosis?
The main symptom of halitosis is a bad odour from the mouth that is considered beyond a socially acceptable level. The odour can be worse in the morning or after smoking, drinking coffee, or eating certain foods such as garlic.
What causes bad breath?
A range of things causes bad breath such as:
- Certain foods
- Poor oral health
- Improper cleaning of dentures
- Odour-causing bacteria on the tongue
- Periodontal disease
- Dry mouth
- Certain health conditions
What does halitosis smell like?
This condition can result in breath that smells fishy. The treatment for bad breath greatly depends on the underlying cause. Initial treatment efforts can include solutions such as improved oral hygiene, tongue cleaning, and the use of mouthwash and flossing.
How do you treat bad breath at home?
- Brush your teeth after you eat
- Floss twice a day
- Brush your tongue
- Clean dentures
- Avoid dry mouth by avoiding smoking and drinking water
- Adjust your diet
- Regularly get a new toothbrush
- Schedule dental checkups
If this doesn’t work, contact us now to schedule your bad breath treatment London.