What are Black Triangles?
Black Triangles (otherwise known as open gingival embrasures) are spaces that are present between the teeth and the gum line. Unfortunately, they can attract unwanted attention when an individual is smiling. In particular, they occur as we age and they occur more frequently in those with gum/periodontal disease and smokers.
Not only can they make an individual look older but they can also serve as food traps and can harvest plaque, tartar, food and stains. This can potentially lead to gum disease and tooth decay. These triangles can sometimes even effect your speech or result in some patients ‘spitting,’ when talking.
There can be several causes or possible even a combination of the following:
- Recession of gums due to gum disease.
- Recession of gums due to thin tissue biotype.
- Orthodontic movement of teeth
- Natural shape and position of teeth
We can help reduce the chances of these triangles developing by carrying out good oral hygiene. Using a soft small brush head and gently massaging the teeth and gums is advised. Daily interdental cleaning as instructed by your dentist/ hygienist is recommended too.
A regular dental check-up will allow the dentist to pick up on these triangles early on.
- Do nothing – If the gum disease is not active, triangles are being kept clean and they are not an aesthetic concern to the patient.
- Gum Surgery – If the patient is suitable a surgical approach can be taken to restore these triangles, learn about the revolutionary pinhole technique here.
- Crowns/ Veneers – A more traditional and expensive approach.
- Orthodontic treatment – If suitable teeth can gently be reshaped and re aligned to eliminate/reduce black triangles.
- Aesthetic bonding using conventional techniques – A relatively painless procedure in which the teeth are built up by a skilled practitioner freehand to eliminate/reduce the black triangles using composite resin.
- Bioclear matrix technique – This is aesthetic bonding using injection moulding of composite resin, similar to the option above but a more contemporary technique allowing us to produce aesthetically superior, more predictable and longer lasting In lower teeth this may be the only long lasting option. See the Bioclear matrix technique below
Book an examination/consultation today to discuss the above if you have black triangles.
Bioclear Matrix Technique
Dr Krishen and Dr Kotecha are fully certified to provide treatments using the Bioclear matrix technique.
Bioclear is a special technique which uses a set of anterior matrices to mould and shape composite to close black triangles. It results in smooth, well contoured restorations that are aesthetic and durable. The cost of Bioclear Matrix system is substantial for the practice as it requires a large investment in equipment and materials. It is technique sensitive to ensure there are no overhangs (which can cause gum disease) and therefore is only carried out by certified practitioners.
Case Examples using Bioclear Matrix technique
This treatment takes approximately 60 minutes and comes with 5 year guarantee. The cost starts from £250
- Please click here for our fees guide.
- Please click here for examples of our work
- For further details of our techniques, materials and techniques please click here.
- Please click here for our guide to maintaining your oral hygiene.
- Interest free payment options are available
- Return to the top of the page