Diastemas (Space between teeth)
What are Diastemas?
A Diastema is a space/gap between two teeth. It is often between the front two teeth but can be a space between any two teeth.
Not only can they make an individual conscious but they can also serve as food traps and can harvest plaque, tartar, food and stains. This can potentially lead to gum disease and tooth decay. These spaces can potentially even effect your speech or result in result in some patients ‘spitting,’ when talking.
How are they caused?
- The most common cause is a mismatch between the size of the jaw and teeth. Often the Jaw can be larger in correspondence to the size of the teeth and therefore leading to spaces between teeth
- Teeth can be missing or small in size
- An oversized labial fraenum (a piece of tissue that attaches the gum to the lip)
- Habits such as thumb sucking
- Tongue thrust (when the tongue exerts a strong force on the teeth)
- Gum Disease – in advanced stages of periodontal disease it is not uncommon for teeth to drift leaving spaces
- Do nothing – If they are not of aesthetic concern to the patient.
- Crowns/ Veneers – A more traditional and expensive approach.
- Orthodontic treatment – If suitable teeth can gently be reshaped and re aligned to eliminate/reduce gapes between teeth.
- Aesthetic bonding using conventional techniques – A relatively painless procedure in which the teeth are built up by a skilled practitioner freehand to eliminate/reduce the spaces using composite resin.
- Bioclear matrix technique – This is aesthetic bonding using injection moulding of composite resin, similar to the option above but a more contemporary technique allowing us to produce aesthetically superior, more predictable and longer lasting In lower teeth this may be the only long lasting option. See the Bioclear matrix technique below
Book an examination/consultation today to discuss the above if you have black triangles.
Bioclear Matrix Technique
Dr Krishen Shah and Dr Sarita Kotecha are fully certified to provide treatments using the Bioclear matrix technique.
Bioclear is a special technique which uses a set of anterior matrices to mould and shape composite to close diastemas/gaps/spaces between teeth. The cost of Bioclear Matrix system is substantial for the practice as it requires a large investment in equipment and materials. It is technique sensitive to ensure there are no overhangs (which can cause gum disease) and is only carried out by certified practitioners.
Case Examples using Bioclear Matrix technique
This treatment takes approximately 60 minutes and comes with 5 year guarantee. The cost starts from £250
- Please click here for our fees guide.
- Please click here for examples of our work
- For further details of our techniques, materials and techniques please click here.
- Please click here for our guide to maintaining your oral hygiene.
- Interest free payment options are available
- Return to the top of the page
St Johns Wood